Ego Free Leadership: Ending the Unconscious Habits that Hijack Your Business by Brandon Black & Shayne Hughes
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
As a book to learn something it is quite light, a book to follow a real lift set of trials and tribulations it is an ok read.
The book presents the concept of a pinch – when our ego system is triggered by an unwanted threat or circumstance.
The learnings can be summarised as:
- Notice the moments in your life when you experience a pinch. It may be an event or something someone says.
- Instead of reacting search for what triggered you. What is that visceral discomfort you’re trying to numb or you’re blaming others for? How is your sense of self-worth threatened?
- Look outward and consider what vulnerabilities others might be feeling behind their veneer of strength or indifference. Empathise with how they feel in danger.
- Take the risk of disclosing how you feel vulnerable. Share your ego threat, not your mind chatter. Model a context of safety.
The book presents the importance of 360 feedback to understand how the perception of events we can have can vary dramatically from the other people in the same event. The learning is summarised by the contents page:
- That voice in your head does more damage than you realise
- No, it’s not just your personality
- Workplace politics are your fault too
- Stop pretending you’re not vulnerable
- You’re not really listening are you?
- Your ego loves an enemy
- We can’t talk about “that”
- “Those” people have something important to teach you